Volunteer & Internship Opportunities
We are always looking for volunteers to help out at Texas Rowing For All. We look forward to speaking with YOU to find out your interests & strengths in order to make this a fantastic volunteer experience. Willingness to help & learn is the most important volunteer attribute!
Texas Rowing For All program has recruited a crew of passionate and committed volunteers who enjoy working with people with disabilities in a variety of rowing settings (land and water). Volunteers come from the greater Austin community and from all walks of life. Volunteers are selected for their excellent communication skills, enthusiasm, and helping skills. We will provide training & necessary information for you to succeed and enjoy this experience. It is a fun filled environment and you will love the time spent with us!
We welcome interest in Texas Rowing For All and urge you to join our exciting Program! Contact us for more information at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
College & University Volunteer / Internship Opportunities
Consider Texas Rowing For All for your college Internship goals and field experience hours.
Diane McDiarmid, TRFA founder, is a former university professor, served as Principal Investigator on many research projects/grants and was an academic administrator who has over 20 years experience supervising University post-secondary interns.
Diane will work with you to create an individualized learning plan and a flexible schedule to meet *your* intership goals and expectations, while providing you a rich, stimulating and fun volunteer / internship experience.
Sample of Internship Responsibilities:
- Encouraging, mentoring, and inspiring challenged athletes
- Recruitment activities for people with disabilities to join program
- Working one-on-one to help athletes with disabilities to reach their goals
- Kayaking & canoeing on Lady Bird Lake-Austin; includes guiding, leading games; working with participants.
- Interns will have opportunity to take free rowing classes and learn to row on the water
- Participate in & staff US Olympic/Paralympic Special events at Texas Rowing For All
- Orientation activities for new participants into Texas Rowing For All Programming.
- Work with parents and families of athletes with disabilities
- Development with staff of improving adaptive best practices
- Interns will staff rowing & kayak team practices
- Responsible for recording session participation & data entry
- Coordinating special events with Director and community leadership
- Marketing and publizing Texas Rowing For All programs
- Community Outreach (network with Parks & Rec; local organizations, business)
- Assisting in Program development & program reporting
- Coming up with new ideas to improve program performance and outcomes
- Other activities – to be discussed and agreed upon prior to implementation
- Work attire: very casual—shorts, T-shirts, hats, tennis shoes or sandals for most activities.